Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunday Moments

Had a couple 'a-ha' moments over the weekend.

First was the untimely passing of my favorite author, E. Lynn Harris at age 54. In 1991, he self published his first novel, while he lived and worked here in Dallas. The rest is history. When even E Lynn would make a book signing stop in Dallas--I was there. He's joked at one signing how he hated the fact he couldn't buy Orange Crush soda in where lived--it may have been Atlanta or New York--I can't remember which. Nonetheless, I found a six bottle carton of Orange Crush and took it to E Lynn's signing the next day. He may not have known my name, but he knew I was the Orange Crush Girl.
Last saw E Lynn was Summer 2008. Informed E Lynn his writing style was the most I wanted to emulate--because it made me turn the pages. After E Lynn thanked me, he asked, "So is your own writing doing?" He stared right though me--no excuse was good enough. There still isn't a good enough excuse. How IS my writing? A-ha moment indeed.

When you speak with someone once loved with all your heart. Spoke marriage once upon a time. Today was the first time we spoke--through our mouths and not text messages. Like receiving a root canal without numbing of the gums. It proved that season is so long gone. Yet another season could always sprout--just takes two to plant and water the seed. A-ha moment indeed.
And weight loss. I'd blogged I'd lost 70 pounds and kept it off for quite while. Then house hunt/purchase and job topsy turvy-ness happened first quarter of 2008 and became my excuse for alot of Tombstone pizzas. I tried to psyche myself out by not putting all my weight on the scale. But I knew. Two months ago, I finally joined the senior rec center in town and got back to how I was fed in the hospital, before and after my open heart surgery. Given alot of food, but lost weight. Fruits and veggies at every meal. Sometimes a couple helpings of both--different items tho. So I knew I ate alot, yet what I ate was good for me--and finally, FINALLY my scale some change. Still a ways to go--however I can tell a difference when I look in the mirror. The exercise helped. No more snacking M & M's when I'm bored. Just a few spoonfuls of Blue Bell ice cream instead of the whole pint--at one sitting. Now I have better nights' sleep, not so much bone creaking--feel better all around. Next month, I'll sign up for aerobics at the center. Is a handful of strawberries as much fun as a handful of onion rings? Of course not--but if you plan just right--you can have both! That's an 'a-ha' moment in itself!

So on this Sunday--gotta do a few more resume send outs, so I can veg the rest of the night.

He didn't bring me this far to leave me. I am blessed.

No comments:

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...