Sunday, December 28, 2008

December 28, 1998 was a Monday

I had a book signing that night. Yep, in my Iowa hometown's library. One of my BEST nights ever. Class members, plus their parents and friends of my family turned out for it. I felt like Cinderella. I've had alot of good days since then, yet there was something about that night. Special really. Felt so good and right to talk about my written words. To autograph books for everyone. Back then, I just didn't sign my name, I pretty much wrote a novella to that person. A personal touch, I guess.

I'd self published my book in September 1998. The first and only book I've written. A story that nawed at my heart, and still does. The story idea is great, but the way it was written then--could be so much better. At the time, I needed to get it down. To get it in people's hands. I'd sent out query letters for possible publication. Had two bites to see the completed manuscript. Both turned me down, although one publisher gave me 40 minutes of his time, on the phone, how to improve the story. I still remember to this day. And then I've learned so much as a writer over this time.
In fact, I've started a re-do about 3 times and quit. I actually did quit writing altogether after the book came out. I'd sent my book to a site for a review and be featured on their site. Oh man...the guy tore it shreds. I felt like a failure. Ever wrote that in my journal "I am a failure. I cannot write." Wrote nothing else--except in my diaries--for a few years. I didn't even think about writing. Didn't want to. Ignored the question, "What have you written lately?"

Ten years have passed. Alot has happened, because it had too. Today I enjoy writing fiction short stories. Query to have them published. But to my one and only book--it still is in my home town's library. Heck, I still have a few in my closet. Quit selling them long ago. Will I write another book? Sure. When the time is write. Not my time, but God's time.

Eventhough it was great I wrote the book--and I Google the title and my name. There are used copies on sites, that I don't recognize the language. HOW did it get there? Especially the SIGNED copies? I digress. I am proud I wrote the book when I did. God was with me, yet I pushed it through at times. I wasn't patient. I learned alot and lost alot of money. I had no plan. To self publish, you a plan A thru at least T is needed. All in all, I wasn't ready.

He's making me ready now.
OK-so now we have....

the Dallas Cowboys..*sigh* .They are behind the Philadelphia Eagles 41-3 and the game isn't over yet! Nobody saw it coming THIS bad. The Cowboys had to win to be in the play-offs. Former Cowboy QB Hall of Fame Troy Aikman is calling the game. I wonder his thoughts. If he wishes he were still part of the fray. Yes, it's why the game is played, yet the Dallas Cowboys didn't quite play it well enough. December 28, 2008 will end their season. Let the finger points begin. Uh, who threw those interceptions?

My night in 1998 was more fun. I am blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered the same (Aikman's thoughts on the game), and the rest of the greats (Staubach, Dorsett, White, Sanders, etc.). I believe one of them might have mentioned something about these guys not playing FOR the Cowboys and what it stands for, they are playing for themselves. So dissapointed in this season.

LL aka Lisa-Lin said...

It was Michael Irvin who made the comment. I tell ya, for all the stuff Michael Irvin went thru, he LOVED his team. Disappointing season, indeed.

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...