Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Eve of Giving Thanks


And I think of night before Turkey Days past when Mom and Dad stayed up for hours in the kitchen. I'd hear them laugh, talk and cook and the aromas would tickle my nose. I couldn't wait for Mom's sweet potatoes or the cranberry sauce. Those were my favorites outside of her pumpkin pie! Yep, my mom could cook. I've been told I can make a mean pie and dish of mancotti---alas, not as good as Mom's!

So I think of those nights before. In my jammies. Just waiting for our feast. I recall, as I got older, we didn't do so much the all the family come to the house, or we went to their house thing-I have pictures from those times. Maybe new traditions wanted to be started. And that was OK for me.

I liked being with my parents. To listen at them bicker and laugh. To know they loved me, even if Mom had NO problem in dishing out a spank or two! .

Just like on this Eve to Give Thanks, their spirts embrace me now-

As it should and always will be
And I give my thanks.

2 comments:

Sultan said...

Wishing you a fine day.

Anonymous said...

A very touching story. Thanks for sharing it.

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...