Thursday, November 26, 2009

Single Stuffing

Happy Thanksgiving!

My day continues to be grand--and I hope yours is too!

A day to be thankful, even if more than one of your married friends ask you if you're going to be alone for the holiday. Of course, there is no harm meant. And there was a point in my singleness where I just HAD to be at homebody's house, just had to be somewhere because of whatever holiday it was. That whole thought process took a while to get over...a LONG time.

Sure, who wouldn't want to be with a special someone on a special day? Fight over a turkey leg or sigh in contentment over candied sweet potatoes? Hey, I know I'm not the only one in that choir--although--it ain't such a bad choir to be in. After spending time with folks that mean well, and you know you're gonna get a good meal and after the meal is gone-.then what? They're not your family. Not your kids that begin to fuss and not your cat that bit your ankle. Folks mean well. And you're blessed they want to share their home with you. Yet there are times an invite can be turned down--I've learned that and you still remain to be friends.
Today my 'food' started like it has every Thanksgiving Morning since 2003: get my praise on at Inspiring Body of Christ Church, with Pastor Rickie Rush. The locale today was a bit different as 2009 inches to the finish line. Today was the first ever service in the new Home--just right across the street from the old one.
The second person I hug at church was Bear. Might have surprised him, since I came right at him for the hug. After I sat down, I then wondered if I'd done the right thing--to hug him. And then I thought, "Well I can't take it back." And frankly, I didn't want to. It's Thanksgiving. Eventho Bear and I aren't the same as we were those years ago, Bear had such an impact on my life, good and/or bad--so I am thankful for him.

The new IBOC Home is gi-normous Thank YOU in itself. I wondered if some of the intimacy might be lost. I don't think I need to worry. Tears still found their way down my cheek as Vicki Winans sang of "Release," while I sat in one of the last rows of the sanctuary, where it was better to watch her on the big screen. Yes, the new Home is gonna do just fine!

Now if you will 'cuse me, pun'kin pie awaits!

I am blessed.


2 comments:

Sultan said...

You should have 2 pieces of pie.

LL aka Lisa-Lin said...

Heck, I've got the WHOLE pie! :)

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...