Saturday, December 6, 2008

Saturday December Day in Dallas

For my chums in Iowa and parts North, it may be 61 degrees today. Just to rub that in.

Also I have watermelon in my fridge. Not sure where it was grown. Not too tasty Summer Sweet, yet there's still some crunch and munch there. Makes me happy.

Then there's Tom Jones. Yes, 68 year old "What's New Pussycat?" Tom Jones. I got around to watching his performance on Leno from the other night. I read the rave review of his new CD '24 Hours' last week. My thought, "Really?" My memory of Tom Jones is my mom, aunts and other females in her demograpic, camped out around the TV when his variety show came on. Hooped and hollered they did.

Then fast forward: 1975 and the Great Allentown Fair, in Allentown, PA. Tom Jones performed there, as were the Osmonds, later on that week. Females, including myself, were lined from the elevator door to the car that waited for him, outside the Sheraton. We all wanted to get a glimpse of him. My 17 yr old lips got glimpsed 4 times. Then sometime in the 80's, Tom held concert in Des Moines, Iowa. He was good, yet...there was just something not that filled with zip. Honestly, I kind of wrote him off. His time had passed--that sort of thing.

Well, then 2008 and I watch Leno. My mouth drops. "THAT's Tom Jones???! I've determined Tom Jones drinks from the same fountain as Tina Turner. The song is "I'm Alive." Tom Jones proves he is. And, now if you will excuse me, I need to go and buy me a CD--one that's not on the clearance rack at Wal-mart. I got some hoopin' and hollerin' to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thomasina-

Fantastic page!

Would love to post this on the official Tom Jones forum. Would you give me that privelege?

I think other TJ fans would LOVE IT as much as I do!

Tania
tania_m_smith2000@yahoo.com

LL aka Lisa-Lin said...

Yes, Tania--I'd be flattered for the priviledge!!

Thank you!

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...