Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rick Springfield Last Night

He was in town last night. Rick Springfield. And I MISSED him. Oh wow. Back in the 80's day, I usta know every tour stop the man had! Hot! Hot! HOT! Found out way too late --like too late last night-Rick was here.

I evidently didn't pay ANY attention to papers, the radio or even the all knowing world wide web! UGH. Woulda gone alone. No biggie. I've seen Journey, to Three Dog Night, to Tina Turner solo--so no prob. Heck, I coulda rode the rail to the front door of the venue. UGH.

I've not seen Rick in concert in about 4 years or so. There was an 80's time, my chum, Fifth Street Friend, would see 4 Rick Concerts in a week's span. One time after experiencing Rick's hotness on stage in Omaha, Nebraska, we started the trek on I-80 East to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. A good couple or so miles away and Rick's next concert stop.

About forty or so miles outside of Omaha, Rick's tour boss took an exit in Atlantic, Iowa. How did we know? Because we were following them. There were two gas stations across the road from each other. We picked the wrong one. They went to the one that had the diner! Looking back, after a concert, I'd be hungry too! So we bee-lined it across the road. The time? Some where around midnight.

We got brave and went inside. Some of the guys were at the counter doing a chowdown on some good Iowa home cookin'. And Rick? A sign of the times: Rick was on a PAY phone! I recall Rick wore white boots with fur at the tops, and this was summer time. And oh, what did me and Fifth Street Friend do?

Nothing.

We had Rick Springfield to OURSELVES. In a gas station/diner, Norman Bates would find grand, and no other girls, we did NOTHING. I recall I had on some purple blouse with RUFFLES down the front and Rick Springfield was so close I could reach out and touch him. And we did NOTHING. No picture. No autograph. Hmm. Maybe I bought a pack of gum.

As Fifth Street Friend and I walked to the car, we were in the path of some of the band guys tossed a frisbee in the parking lot.

Wow. A pack of gum and a frisbee. No Rick Springfield.

Later on, when we watched Rick on some TV show, my step-mother shook her head, "You run after that man all over the country. And the way you run your mouth about anything, you don't even open your mouth when you had a chance! You should be ashamed of yourselves!"

I still am.

And I missed Rick last night....UGH!

So cue up "I Get Excited"--because Rick Springfield, who turns 60 in August, still gets me just! This ain't your granddady's AARP!

No comments:

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...