Saturday, November 29, 2008

Evergreen Evermore

Realized today this Christmas season will a bit harder than most. My guess is because of buying this house. And it reminds me the last time I spent Christmas with someone who had my heart. The house I called "home" was in Iowa and the year was 2000. The last Christmas I spent with Dad.

By Christmas 2001, Dad had been buried two months. I was in that Iowa house for the final time. It wasn't the same. His gawdugly orange lounge chair set untouched. No cigar butts in the ashtray. No tree or lights. Just wasn't the same. My kitten, Perry, who had shown up right about the day of Dad's funeral romped through the house. I always believed my parents sent Perry to help in the grief.

So today, I'm out and about and walk through Christmas trees set outside a grocery store. Their scent hit me and immediately thought of Dad. Got a bit weepy. I didn't feel this way in years past. I guess, my apartment seemed so temporary. But the house. It's more planted. I realize crying as I strolled down the frozen food aisle wasn't a good idea, so I buckled up.

I remembered one Christmas where I was to bring our turquoise flocked Christmas tree from Des Moines. We were so into flocked trees! Strapped securely in my trunk by the tree guy. No worries until about about 7 miles out of my hometown, my car dies. I can't remember why, considering rust seemed to hold it together, heaven only knows.

What I do remember, is a mom and her daughter stopped to help me. They were on there way into my hometown to shop. I was grateful they stopped so soon after my car died. This was Iowa in December after all. Cold and snow abound. We got the tree out from my car and into their trunk. Or so we thought.

I settled into the backseat for the few minutes of ride. Something told me turn around. I sat speechless as my turquoise flocked Christmas tree rolled down the highway. Away from these kind strangers' car! This was a four lane road, and thank heavens nobody was going either way. We made a U-turn, got my tree and made it home safe and sound.

Memories like that will get them through this holiday. Hmm. I may get a artificial tree, so I won't feel THAT bad if a cat pulls it down.

I know I am blessed.










No comments:

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...