Monday, October 18, 2010

October 18, 2001 was Thursday

I can't believe Sweet Big Daddy Don has been gone almost a decade. Seems like forever, yet then seems like yesterday I got "the call" that afternoon. Just an awful day at my job. I so wanted to quit. I'd even gone home for lunch, since I lived close. I thought about calling my dad just to hear his voice. Yet, I thought I just bothered him so much about my work troubles.

Little did I know it would have been my last call to him. Dad was in a nursing home/rehab because of his blindness in July. He was learning to take care of himself even tho he couldn't see. It really wasn't going as well as they'd hoped.

My dad was so use to doing everything on his own. Now he couldn't see and had to so depend on others. It was sad. I still had him pictured walking down the street, Iowa Hawkeye jacket on with a King Edward cigar dangling from his mouth.

So on that Thursday, I think my dad just had enough. I know he never wanted to leave me--after all, I was his 'prettiest girl'--plus, he missed my mom and tired of waiting. Dad went to sleep and just didn't wake up. Just the way he wanted.

For me today, it's all bittersweet. How much my life has changed since his death and what has remained the same. I still hear Dad's laugh and times I think I smell the cigar smoke...

Especially when I look at his Iowa Hawkeye jacket that hangs in the closet.


Old Kitty said...

Oh Tommy!! He's a very handsome fella - strong and just lovely!!

He sounds like a true fighter - and I take comfort in the knowledge that you knew he passed away just as he wanted.

Take care, Tommy, big hugs from me!

The New Me said...

I miss Big Daddy Don too!

Thomasina said...

How sweet, New Me! Big Ol' Daddy Don liked YOU too. He always remembered that car you had and wondered how it made it all the way from KC!

1042 Days

Yes, 1042 is the number of days since my last post. I never intended fore such an hiatus from something I did enjoy quite a bit. I do reme...