Sunday, March 14, 2010

March 14, 2006 was Tuesday


On this day in 2006, was my open heart surgery day to replace my mitral valve. Did I ever mention I didn't even KNOW I had a mitral valve until they told me mine was damaged by this infection called endocarditis? Anyway, since my date with the surgeon was to take place at a sister hospital, the paramedics were to come get me at 6AM.

They didn't. More like closer to 7am. I'd been awaken to take a quick sponge bath, change into my surgery gown, gather what belongings I had left and wait to be taken. Well, I waited.
When the guys did show up, I was strapped to a gurney and rolled on my way. All the nurse that taken care of me said their good byes and told me to call them to let them know everything was OK. For the brief moment I was wheeled outside from this hospital to the waiting ambulance and into the sister hospital, I had my first taste of fresh air in 15 days. Even filled with exhaust, I didn't care. Wonderful. The paramedics told me there was no way they could have picked me up at 6AM because, they didn't even start their shift until after 6. Oh well.

Since I was late, and my surgery was first of the day, the nurse in charge of doing prelims was ticked. I was released from the gurney and then she walked me to different stations to take my vitals. I realized how weak I really was--I couldn't keep with her on these short walks. The nurse grumbled how all surgeries were now pushed back for the day. Considering I didn't WANT a surgery, I was kinda OK with that. Anyway, the nurse took vitals and I remained silent and did as I was told. Then after the vital taking, a group of folks helped me back on a gurney to get me prepped.

They were all nice, asking if I was OK as they measured my mouth for a tube or somesuch. jabbed me for IV's and whatever else they did. Then I heard "Put her out."

Next thing I heard was, "Good Afternoon!" I squinted at the clock. 3:45PM. A tube was still down my throat. I just knew I would choke. I heard a female say, "She woke so fast. Where's the doctor?" I heard the same female voice talk to the doctor by phone, "Yes, she's awake already!" All in all, I was later told, by that female nurse she'd never had a patient wake up as fast as I did. They needed the doctor's OK to get the tube out of my throat. If I hadn't been strapped down, I was gonna pull that sucker out myself.
Fast forward to this day in 2010. Got my praise on at Inspiring Body of Christ Church, with Pastor Rickie Rush. Once again affirmed how people in your life, can step between you and your blessing. They may still be committed to the flesh, while you are now committed to your spirit. I thought of folks I've loved, yet at the present are out of my life. I love them, but we just don't connect--at least, for right now.

As for the rest of this Sunday, it's over 70 degrees. Sun continues to shine. The flowers posted up top are in my backyard at this very moment. Downed iced coffee and pet Perry the 81/2 year old orange tabby cat who was nice enough to keep me company while I typed this.

Now if you will excuse me, Mama got new tennyshoes and gots to take a walk. You see, because of this day in 2006 with my trust in One Who Knows to guide surgeons while I lie on that table with machines keeping me alive --I can. .

So I woke up too soon from surgery, eh? Well, I have things to do.

I am blessed

4 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh my goodness - what a memory!

Thank you for sharing - it's feel so vivid even now.

Bless you for being a fighter and coming out of it all with such optimism and love of life!

I hope you had a healthy walk with your new tennyshoes! in such lovely weather too! Your daffodils are gorgeous and so is te lovely Perry.

Take care
x

LL aka Lisa-Lin said...

Those are daffodils? Really? I just called em 'yellow flowers!" The lady, who raised her three sons in this house, loved plants. I have 3 rose bushes in my yard--I need to learn how to keep them alive. One still had a white bloom in November.

Thank you for liking my words. They might reach somebody who has some heart stuff going on--that all is not lost.

Sultan said...

The whole things frightening except the very cute cat.

LL aka Lisa-Lin said...

Well, if I'd had my way on the whole surgery matter, I would not had it--in fact I told them I didn't want it--unfortunately my valve was too far gone...cat IS cute! :)

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...