Sunday, May 10, 2009

May 10, 2009 is Mother's Day

The picture is my mom and me when I was nine weeks old. We both thought we'd have along time together.
Mom died when I was 13. Complications, three months after her 1971 weight loss surgery, contributed to her death. My mom was just 43.

Needless to say, my Mother's Days were not all rose blooms and happy cards. Tears drown my eyes while 'what if's' flooded my brain.

Took a very long time to reach peace on this day. Other Motherless Daughters--regardless of their age, may feel the same.

Below is a piece I wrote about going through Mother's Day without a mom.

A day to remember.
Always.

Another View
Years ago, avoidance of the greeting card aisle near Mother’s Day rivaled my loveless affair with liver and onions. Even as I rushed past the cards, the words, “To My Dear Mother,” screamed at me. As people did their best to pick the most perfect Mother’s Day card, envy, not blood, flowed through my veins. Did they know how blessed they were?

My mother died from yellow liver atrophy almost three months to the day after surgery. She was forty-three. I was thirteen. She was too young to die and I was too young to be left without a mom. Now it was just my dad and me. Even at thirteen, I wondered how we would survive. I hated that my mom never hesitated to spank, yet I would let her spank me a thousand times over if God would bring her back.

My peaceful world was gone. No more ‘girls only’ nights when my dad worked late. We’d drive as far as time and ice cream took us. Laughs and song filled the air. No more would I watch her put on eyeshadow and wonder if I would ever be as pretty.

Mother’s Day soon became just another Sunday without football.

For twenty years, I permitted my mom’s death to be the root of my stumbles. Life moved on, but I lagged behind. I somehow had to learn from her life so I could finally live my own.
I was sick and tired of being sick and tired of not being able to change the past. I had to embrace my mom’s death and move on. God’s word opened that door with Psalms 121 (NIV): I lift up my eyes to the hills-where does my help come from? I knew where to start.

Now, I no longer avoid the Mother’s Day card aisle. Like everyone else, I hunt for the perfect one. How can I not celebrate the woman who introduced me to A & W onion rings while she explained changes a young girl experiences are a celebration? I sign my card with love and tuck it away with the others.

Our life together lasted just thirteen years, yet was more valuable than rubies. My mother’s spirit dances within me every second, every minute, every day. I am truly blessed, for I know one day we’ll see each other again. Our laughter and songs will fill the air. Praise God.
©2008




I am blessed.




2 comments:

RaNae Ellett said...

Dear Lisa-Lin;
I did not know "back in the day" nor until today, when I read your beautifully written piece about you and your Mother, that your Mother had passed away. By reading the Mother's Day Piece you wrote, I can tell you have beautiful memories of your Mother and though she died before you had the chance to make more memories, She lives on in you! You write beautifully and I felt as though I could see and hear you and your Mother when reading your article. You are truly blessed with style, grace and a great gift of talent! Your School-mate, RaNae Ellett

Cheyenne -Millie said...

Thank you for sharing yourself. You express it well.

Mom of Cheyenne Millie.

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...