Monday, December 21, 2009

Missed December 20, 1975 Was Saturday

Oh, what a night! As I read my diary a smile grew on my face. It was high school, and of course, all was right with the world--there was a DANCE. Not some sock hop thing or such, but a dance either in this church basement, which were about weekly, or out at the Amory. Whichever it was--a big, BIG deal. Long before cable TV, video games--iPhones--when you had to actually go out and do something! I recall, my BFF at the time, had yet to venture to one of these affairs. I really think we were falling apart as friends by then.

I was more the the extrovert and refused to be bored, while BFF was content to study and possess melancholy thoughts of the whole world which were darker than the midnight sky. To look back, I believe BFF suffered from depression. However this was the 70's and her behaviour would be thought of probably as teenage angst. After all, a boy had broken BFF's heart, yet the boy didn't know it. Anyway, on this Saturday, BFF, me and another possee member, were in a grocery store. A good looking guy who graduated the year before, came in. He asked if we were going to the dance. We told him we were trying to talk BFF into going. He offered to buy her admission in-which I think was two bucks. And so off we went.


Now, the main thing is, in high school I kept a Kiss List. Every guy I kissed-and I mean on the mouth, I added their name on the list. Even if I kissed the guy several times, he was on the list but once. I did this, I think, to garner me some confidence with the boys. You see, I was only two of the black students in a student population of 650, and the movie "Jungle Fever" had yet been made. I'm sure the movie's male lead, actor Wesley Snipes, was probably a couple years behind me in high school, at the time.

I digress.

So at the DANCE, I did dance the night away, after drinking beer I legally wasn't able to drink yet (the age was 18, and I was few months shy) and kissed #25 (I quit the list at 153). I smile when I read of this night because I truly forgot I'd ever kissed this guy. And years later, like about 1999, while I was in Iowa for Christmas, I had a car issue. I took my car to this GMC place and there he was. Told me about his wife and kids. Time flies.

And what did I do on Sunday December 21, 1975?

Talked about oh, what a night that night before had been--of course!

No comments:

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...