Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jury Deliberates

Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court nominee, is termed a racist by some. TODAY's Matt Lauer and crew told me this morning as I readied for work. My mouth dropped. What on earth had happened for this woman said to be crowned a racist?

Granted, I'm not much into life as a Perry Mason, yet with everything President Barack says or does is scrutinized--I had to find out what Ms. Sotomayor did.

Did she call somebody she shouldn't? Help burn crosses on lawns? Wear a white sheet over her suit? I had to know. Could President Barack Obama make such a horrid choice? A racist? bigot?

Then Matt Lauer and crew gave us Sonia Sotomayor's quote from a speech she gave in front of University of California Berkley law school: “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

Need some matches, Sonia?

Racism? Biogtry? Really?

OK. Some folks might be upset.

Not sure how, yet evidently alot are.

Ms. Sotomayor spoke truth. If you have not lived that life of a wise woman, whether she be Latina, Black woman, Chinese, Native American, even a White woman-how can a better conclusion of a White man (or any man) be as sound? Has the man had that woman's life experience?

An article in the NY Times says Ms. Sotomayor's temperament and sharp tongue just may be a little too darn much.

Really?

My question: if a man used his sharp tongue, in the same situation, would it have been a bad thing? Or would the man be considered "sharp, quick on his feet and breath of confidence?" After all, he is a judge. It's his job to speak matter of factly.

I don't know if Sonia Sotomayor is the right candidate. I don't play much in the law's sandbox at recess. I admire those that do. However, I do believe Ms. Sotomayor is yet another strong woman that a bunch of folks don't know how to handle.

Can you say: Hillary?

Stay tuned.


No comments:

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...