Saturday, December 27, 2008

December 27, 1973 was Thursday

As the sun shines on this Saturday, my diary took me back to a Winter's Day in Iowa. Had to laugh because the eight lines I wrote, for this day, had to do with the opposite sex! Yes, indeedy. Both of them older. ANCIENT, but worldly to me and my girl hood best friend-then--and both in their 20's at that time.

Oh my, when I look back, one I'd known for years. His older and younger sister, along with himself, took dancing lessons from the same teacher I did. They were kind of the Dancing Von Trapps, but not really. All 3 kids, seem to be in every other dance at the recital, with the best dances. His younger sister was just a year or two older than me. I envied her SO much. Coolest costumes, best dances. And his oldest sister taught me piano for about six months when I was nine. I wasn't feeling the whole piano thing at the time. That came later--but that's another post.

But HIM. Oh yea. By this time in 1973, we ran into him at our town's tennis courts. My girl hood best friend and I both had a fit as we tried our best Chrissy Evert. I remember asking him if he was who I thought he was. The dancer. Yes he was. Looking back, he must've thought we were nuts. We actually set him up with our student French teacher. Can't remember her name, but I don't care. We just thought he was HOT. So on this day, he saw us as he drove past and WAVED!! The earth stood still.

The other guy I spoke of, was a substitute teacher we had in our 7th Grade English class. How do I remember it was 7th grade? Because all us girls, were discovering boys, but this guy was a MAN, and none of our male teachers looked like HIM. Ha! My girl hood best friend and I rattled on and on about him to my mom. We thought the gods were kind to us, because we had him for two days. In real life, he was the high school librarian's husband. We envied her, but weren't sure what we envied her for. Anyway, fast forward to 1973, this hunk was with his wife in some store--I just foamed at the mouth. And going to back to when he substituted, we girls couldn't believe such good fortune because during the days he was there, we'd all peaked in the room. Just to just get a glance of him. I'm sure he thought we were nuts too!

And there was this song that had been Number 1 until December 22, by Charlie Rich. He sang about The Most Beautiful Girl in the world...and back in 1973, we wished we were seen as such. Cue it up.

No comments:

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...