Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March 13, 2006 was Monday

Six years ago tonight I walked my chum Movie Man to the elevator. There I hugged Movie Man and told him I would see him later. As the elevator doors closed, the fear covered his face. I tried to smile. I told Movie Man I would be fine. The doors closed and he was gone. . Movie Man was the last chum I would see that night. Visiting hours were over. I turned and took slow steps back to my room. Maybe if I walked slow enough a tortoise would beat me, I would wake up and this would be a dream. Back in my room, I sat on my bed. I could not believe the time was almost here. In less than 12 hours I would be in surgery. Open heart surgery to be precise-to replace my mitral valve. I still had my tonsils. Yet, I was now on the verge my chest being cracked open.

On this night in 2012, the windows are open to catch an almost Spring breeze. I survey my oh so cluttered, feline filled house and center on this terra cotta pot. I remain amazed I decorated the pot. In 2006, terra cotta pots and a house were not on the docket. Cats were--but not even these cats did I have then. How life changes, even tho some things remain the same.

I look down at my scar. Oh course, my scar did not virtually disappear as I recuperated. Naw--that would be too easy. My scar is keloid--thick, and raised. Itchy at times, hurts at others or sensitive or just forgotten---until it itches, hurts or becomes sensitive against my clothing. No matter. It is my medal.

Six years. Seems so long ago--yet, I remember so clear. I hope I always do.

With these scars I am healed.

1 comment:

Old Kitty said...

Oh Tommy! What a journey for you! You are a most wonderful, most amazing woman! A true survivor!

And your pots are lovely!:-)

Take care
x

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...