Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Clip a Little or a Lot

As I went to stand in the check out lane (only one was open), I realized the lady ahead of me had a bunch of full carts, and two more to go. I saw her folder filled with coupons.

I groaned. I was hot. Tired. And didn't really want to wait in the only checkout lane to pay for my 7 little items. Then the lady ahead of me said the other lane was open. I dashed there and plopped my 7 items down.

Soon I heard the cashier helping the lady, say, "You thoought it would be negative? No, it's...."

I couldn't hear what the cashier said. However, my cashier filled me in. She asked me if I could believe what happened. I told her I had no clue as I dug for a 20 dollar bill to pay my 12 dollar and one cent worth of 7 items. What happened?

Turns out the lady with the folder of coupons had a bill of over $500 and only paid 73 cents.

Really?

And the lady was upset because she did not have a negative balance? I guess that 73 cents was meant for something else. I saw how long the tape was. I saw the number of she had.

Where was I? Not a mega grocery store by any means. I wasn't even at Wal-mart or Target. I was at the Dollar General Store. Which is a chain of little neighborhood stores with everyday inexpensive items and/or discontinued. In and out and fast. I usually buy all my name brand cleaning products there, including toilet tissue--cheap.

That's it. And maybe a bag of trail mix or make up for a buck.

So what in the world did this lady get for 500 bucks? I was too much in shock to ask. I watched her and the kids pile sacks in the car. I did see a lot of DAWN dish liquid.

Guess clean dishes will never be in question in their house.

I took my 12 dollar and one cent worth of items home. Felt like I'd spent 12 million instead.

Does everybody clip coupons? I may need to get serious and start .

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Wow!!!! that's a hell of a lot of coupons!!! Wow!!! Really?!?!!?!?

Good grief, maybe I should save some coupons too!! Take care
x

Songbyrd said...

Man!! I've never heard of saving that much with coupons! I can't believe she 1) spent $500; 2) clipped that many coupons; 3) got MAD because she had to spend 0.73!

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...