Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thursday Tune Up

Naw. It wasn't for my car--

Eventho it could use an oil change for sure--plus a good wash I digress.
This tune up was for my heart. It was a six month check up with my cardiologist, Dr. Sara. I'll be honest, I was a little scared. Why?

Because Dr. Sara was going to review my ECHO (an ultrasound of my heart). When I took the ECHO, I was so under stress professionally, which slid off into my school work. I didn't have any solace. I just knew Dr. Sara would tell me my heart's lining had gotten thicker. This concerned her in my last appointment and was due to blood pressure. This go-round she was happy because it was back to normal. My EKG was 'clear' and no change to meds I take.

I had mitral valve replacement surgery caused by the disease endocarditis. A valve I never knew existed literally got feasted on by a disease I never heard of. What basically happened, bacteria from an infection landed in my valve and clustered. They decided my valve was tasty and dug in. A piece of the cluster broke off and journeyed to my brain. The neuro-doctor said I had a stroke that wasn't a stroke--basically my brain burped.

Well, it burped enough because my speech was effected for about a week. Slurred. Missed words, even tho I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't.

Now almost five years later, I got this exam thing down pat. EKG and ECHO are more than just alphabet letters. I check my own coumadin level. When the scar itches, I just scratch and pretty much forget who may be looking. I remember what it was like when it hurt to move an inch in bed, due to my breastbone healing and weeks it took to sleep on something else than just my back.

I don't see Dr. Sara again until July. She's a nice lady, looks like younger Susan Lucci. I don't want to see her any sooner than July, unless we're both eating pie at Celebrity Bakery. Dr. Sara's parting words to me were: "I don't know what you're doing, just keep doing it."

Yes, indeed--that's the kinda tune up I like!

I am blessed.

2 comments:

Raymond and Busby said...

That is great news Tommy! So glad that your check up went well. Sounds like you found some way to squash that stress too. Maybe having all those purr-burgers around you helps. Much love from your friends in CA. Rocky (Ray and Busby's blog Mom)

Old Kitty said...

Yay for Dr Sara!! Yay for you!! Yay for keeping healthy and positive and strong!! It seriously does not do at all to be stressed. I know it's so hard with life keeping throwing obstacles at one's feet but it's so important especially for your health to keep triumphant!!! You've come this far so keep going further!! :-)

Take care
x

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...