Friday, September 24, 2010

September 24, 1971 was Friday

Just like today.
I recall that sunny 1971 day very well.
I was in 8th grade-the highest grade in our junior high-
Rough and tough, our class yelled the loudest
Our first pep rally for our junior high football guys--
We were in 8th grade and next year HIGH SCHOOL!
Couldn't wait to race home and tell my folks-
My mom tried to listen, so did my dad.
Mom lie in bed. Dad sat in a chair next to the bed.
I knew Mom hadn't felt well, I just didn't know how bad-
Until one of Mom's friends came to the house with her
Daughter who was my age, and shortly thereafter
An ambulance arrived.
As my Mom was strapped to a gurney to leave our home,
She pet our Siamese cat, Minglee, who I held
Hostage in my arms. and I leaned over to kiss her--
"Mama love" she said--like she did every night.
Then Mom told me I was to be the woman of the house
When she wasn't there.
I bit my lip. Didn't want Mom to see me cry.
That was the last time I saw my mother alive.
Three days later Mom was dead.
I was 13.
And I cried.


3 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh Tommy. :-(

This is very beautiful and your mum is very beautiful too.

I'm so sorry for your loss at such a tender age.

Take care
x

LL aka Lisa-Lin said...

Kitty: Thanks for your support, on my blog and on my kitty Noir's blog. If I ever do London, me and you will do tea!

Penny said...

Thomasina.....I posted @ Motherless Daughters that this was a powerful blog, but I meant in the way that it affected me reading it. I too loss my Mom at the age of 11 and early loss is a terrible thing. Your story was very touching!

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...