Thursday, April 29, 2010

April 29, 1976 was Thursday

And on this night in 1976, I was nervous. Why? 'cause I was about to do something I never did do before. Petrified. Would I be OK? What if I disappointed? What if I just froze in the midst and couldn't continue on?

STOP. Dab the sweat from your forehead...Ain't what you think....!

This night in 1976, was OPENING NIGHT! Yep, for my high school's production of "The Music Man"! And yours truly was in it. Indeedy do! In fact, I was one of the major characters-even tho I had no lines, BUT I did have three costume changes!

In fact, if you're familiar with the play or film, in the scene where ladies are donned in bloomers and practicing being Grecian urns--I was the 'main' urn, where they would 'trickle, trickle, trickle' to! Oh man-I wish there was video of that! I wore glasses, no contacts yet, and our director told me if I could see some, don't wear the glasses. So couldn't make out the audience--yet I could hear the laughter. Oh, it was GRAND!

We had some foibles that night, yet it was opening night and we all were nervous. We got through, as we did for the next two nights of our three night run. Even to this day, I am intoxicated by the roar of the crowd and the smell of the greasepaint from those three night. Honestly, I enjoyed every moment of being part of "The Music Man, " even the rehearsals. The three girl chums of my main posse all were part of the the play, because I of me. One painted the scenery, while the two others were in the pit, feeding the actors' lines if need be.

Yep, nervous this night, cuz I was about to do something I never did do before...

Fast forward to this night in 2010--and I still smile as I look at the playbill from those nights, covered with autographs of classmates aka my fellow 'thespians." :)

Cue up the opening of the 1962 film with Robert Preston and smile too....!

4 comments:

Sultan said...

What a fun show to be in. I would have been terribly nervous to the point where I could not have done I think.

LL aka Lisa-Lin said...

I didn't even KNOW the story, until I was in it. I longed to be in a high school play, when I saw the HS do "Gypsy" as I was an 8th grader. Musicals were just every 2 years--and I was bound and determined to be in one, before I graduated, even tho I was petrified.

Oh, and since I didn't wear my glassed thru the performance--I was afraid I'd fall off when we did this curtain call... :)

Old Kitty said...

Oh Thomasina!!

I'd have loved to have seen you in this play and no I've never heard of it but I loved this clip!

What a fun show and well done you. Especially when you did it without your glasses!

:-)

Take care
x

LL aka Lisa-Lin said...

ahh, Kitty--you should rent The Music Man sometime---it also stars a young "Shirley Partridge" aka Shirley Jones, and very young Ron Howard is in it too. Just a fun movie--especially if you like musicals, plus it's staged in my home state of Iowa...!

Thoughts of Past Loves

The Holidays are pretty much right here. Yep.  Especially since three Christmas movies, in the last three days, between Lifetime and Ha...